style IDs standard

Carles Pina
Hello,

I know that I'm way late for this (this mail talks about old commits),
but the same could happen in the future. Maybe I missed some
discussion.

The commit 457fea7b69fc4851f806ee81dce1e7a68db701fc or
dbaa2c4d08a7839f585f90bdc8a76e63e34514ab changed the ID of some styles
(while changing the name of some files), e.g.

-    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/nlm" rel="self"/>
+    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/national-library-of-medicine</id>

Did we ever setup a style ID convention? This one has been expanded,
but we have other styles that are just using the acronym.

A new style should be using the abbreviation or the long name?

At Mendeley, styleID is used in the document properties to identify
the style. If styles changes the styleID at the moment Mendeley
Desktop would ask the user to select another style, handled but not
nice. Or we could leave for a while some dependant styles, etc.

Not critical and mainly wondering if we have some convention.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: style IDs standard

Bruce D'Arcus-3

Short answer: it's an important issue we need to tackle, but haven't.

Any interest in doing so now?

On Jun 19, 2012 1:28 PM, "Carles Pina" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, we have a convention for new styles:
https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Style-Requirements
"In most cases the name should be written out in full, e.g.
"journal-of-results.csl" instead of "jor.csl""
While that's not worded very firmly, in practice we've been spelling
out all ids for new styles.

Changing IDs for existing styles seems trickier - I'm OK with using
dependent styles for transition, we did that when we removed the
Chicago styles w/o bibliography. Rintze is the main guardian of style
naming, so he'd have to say.
S.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know that I'm way late for this (this mail talks about old commits),
> but the same could happen in the future. Maybe I missed some
> discussion.
>
> The commit 457fea7b69fc4851f806ee81dce1e7a68db701fc or
> dbaa2c4d08a7839f585f90bdc8a76e63e34514ab changed the ID of some styles
> (while changing the name of some files), e.g.
>
> -    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/nlm" rel="self"/>
> +    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/national-library-of-medicine</id>
>
> Did we ever setup a style ID convention? This one has been expanded,
> but we have other styles that are just using the acronym.
>
> A new style should be using the abbreviation or the long name?
>
> At Mendeley, styleID is used in the document properties to identify
> the style. If styles changes the styleID at the moment Mendeley
> Desktop would ask the user to select another style, handled but not
> nice. Or we could leave for a while some dependant styles, etc.
>
> Not critical and mainly wondering if we have some convention.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>
> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

------

Re: style IDs standard

Bruce D'Arcus-3
Right. Just to clarify on the discrepancy between the two answers here
I was mainly referring to larger issues, like id name changes, the
fact on the base URI, whether in the future we want to entirely
decouple identity from resolution (for example, using UUIDs for one,
and URLs for the other), etc.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Sebastian Karcher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, we have a convention for new styles:
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Style-Requirements
> "In most cases the name should be written out in full, e.g.
> "journal-of-results.csl" instead of "jor.csl""
> While that's not worded very firmly, in practice we've been spelling
> out all ids for new styles.
>
> Changing IDs for existing styles seems trickier - I'm OK with using
> dependent styles for transition, we did that when we removed the
> Chicago styles w/o bibliography. Rintze is the main guardian of style
> naming, so he'd have to say.
> S.
>

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know that I'm way late for this (this mail talks about old commits),
>> but the same could happen in the future. Maybe I missed some
>> discussion.
>>
>> The commit 457fea7b69fc4851f806ee81dce1e7a68db701fc or
>> dbaa2c4d08a7839f585f90bdc8a76e63e34514ab changed the ID of some styles
>> (while changing the name of some files), e.g.
>>
>> -    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/nlm" rel="self"/>
>> +    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/national-library-of-medicine</id>
>>
>> Did we ever setup a style ID convention? This one has been expanded,
>> but we have other styles that are just using the acronym.
>>
>> A new style should be using the abbreviation or the long name?
>>
>> At Mendeley, styleID is used in the document properties to identify
>> the style. If styles changes the styleID at the moment Mendeley
>> Desktop would ask the user to select another style, handled but not
>> nice. Or we could leave for a while some dependant styles, etc.
>>
>> Not critical and mainly wondering if we have some convention.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

> ------

Re: style IDs standard

I currently make sure that new CSL styles have a file name that is the expanded title of the publisher/journal title/citation guide. Non-roman characters are not allowed, ampersands in titles are replaced by "-and-", and diacritics are just dropped.

A few months ago I went over most of the independent styles, adding ISSNs and default-locales where they were missing, adding "The" to style titles if they were clearly part of the journal title, and expanding many of the abbreviated CSL style names. Having expanded style names makes it much easier for me to visually browse the github style repo (e.g. I don't have to remember that ajps.csl stands for the American Journal of Political Science). There are still a few styles with abbreviations in the style name. Those are mostly popular styles with abbreviations that should be familiar to most people (like plos.csl), that have a lot of dependent styles, or that ship with Zotero (like apa.csl). Ideally I would like to have all names expanded.

I understand that changing file names (and thus style IDs, since our current scheme aligns the two) can give some trouble, but the repository was a bit of a mess, and things should be much more stable going forward. I think the current system works fine, as long as Zotero keeps hosting its Style Repository and we adhere to some basic guidelines regarding style names.

Rintze

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, we have a convention for new styles:
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Style-Requirements
> "In most cases the name should be written out in full, e.g.
> "journal-of-results.csl" instead of "jor.csl""
> While that's not worded very firmly, in practice we've been spelling
> out all ids for new styles.
>
> Changing IDs for existing styles seems trickier - I'm OK with using
> dependent styles for transition, we did that when we removed the
> Chicago styles w/o bibliography. Rintze is the main guardian of style
> naming, so he'd have to say.
> S.
>

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know that I'm way late for this (this mail talks about old commits),
>> but the same could happen in the future. Maybe I missed some
>> discussion.
>>
>> The commit 457fea7b69fc4851f806ee81dce1e7a68db701fc or
>> dbaa2c4d08a7839f585f90bdc8a76e63e34514ab changed the ID of some styles
>> (while changing the name of some files), e.g.
>>
>> -    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/nlm" rel="self"/>
>> +    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/national-library-of-medicine</id>
>>
>> Did we ever setup a style ID convention? This one has been expanded,
>> but we have other styles that are just using the acronym.
>>
>> A new style should be using the abbreviation or the long name?
>>
>> At Mendeley, styleID is used in the document properties to identify
>> the style. If styles changes the styleID at the moment Mendeley
>> Desktop would ask the user to select another style, handled but not
>> nice. Or we could leave for a while some dependant styles, etc.
>>
>> Not critical and mainly wondering if we have some convention.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

> ------

Re: style IDs standard

This is slightly off-topic, but I pitched an idea to Dan a while back to modify the search function of the Zotero Style Repository a little bit, in a way that replaces spaces in the search string with hyphens ( https://github.com/citation-style-language/utilities/commit/24b4b5e5ac6b7fa5e2aa5fb19b2c3e401b3c8a2b ) when comparing the search string to file names.

The search string in the Zotero Style Repo is currently matched against both the style titles and filenames. My proposal would help in cases where titles contain diacritics. An example is the style for the "Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie". We do (and should) include the diacritics "ö" and "ü" in the style title, and I've decided to replace them with just an "o" and "u" in the file name, instead of the digraphs "oe" and "ue" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9C ). With the patch, the search string "kolner zeitschrift" would still give a match (it currently doesn't).

Rintze

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, we have a convention for new styles:
> https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Style-Requirements
> "In most cases the name should be written out in full, e.g.
> "journal-of-results.csl" instead of "jor.csl""
> While that's not worded very firmly, in practice we've been spelling
> out all ids for new styles.
>
> Changing IDs for existing styles seems trickier - I'm OK with using
> dependent styles for transition, we did that when we removed the
> Chicago styles w/o bibliography. Rintze is the main guardian of style
> naming, so he'd have to say.
> S.
>

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know that I'm way late for this (this mail talks about old commits),
>> but the same could happen in the future. Maybe I missed some
>> discussion.
>>
>> The commit 457fea7b69fc4851f806ee81dce1e7a68db701fc or
>> dbaa2c4d08a7839f585f90bdc8a76e63e34514ab changed the ID of some styles
>> (while changing the name of some files), e.g.
>>
>> -    <link href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/nlm" rel="self"/>
>> +    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/national-library-of-medicine</id>
>>
>> Did we ever setup a style ID convention? This one has been expanded,
>> but we have other styles that are just using the acronym.
>>
>> A new style should be using the abbreviation or the long name?
>>
>> At Mendeley, styleID is used in the document properties to identify
>> the style. If styles changes the styleID at the moment Mendeley
>> Desktop would ask the user to select another style, handled but not
>> nice. Or we could leave for a while some dependant styles, etc.
>>
>> Not critical and mainly wondering if we have some convention.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
>> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
>>
>> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
>> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

> ------

Re: style IDs standard

I agree that this was jsut a one-time big cleanup (very appreciated, by the way!). The nice thing about the current setup is that the naming convention is made quite obvious by the repository itself, and helps keep it that way. In some cases, indeed, that would have broken the persistence of the style used for a manuscript when the id changes, in Papers. But I consider that a temporary annoyance that was worth the clean-up.

Adding UUIDs to the mix would definitely solve the issue and cover maybe other unforeseen issues wrt unique identification.

charles

On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Rintze Zelle wrote:

> [...]
> >> +    <id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/national-library-of-medicine</id>
> >>
> >> Did we ever setup a style ID convention? This one has been expanded,
> >> but we have other styles that are just using the acronym.
> >>
> >> A new style should be using the abbreviation or the long name?
> >>
> >> At Mendeley, styleID is used in the document properties to identify
> >> the style. If styles changes the styleID at the moment Mendeley
> >> Desktop would ask the user to select another style, handled but not
> >> nice. Or we could leave for a while some dependant styles, etc.
> >>
> >> Not critical and mainly wondering if we have some convention.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carles Pina | Software Engineer
> >> http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/
> >>
> >> Mendeley Limited | London, UK | www.mendeley.com
> >> Registered in England and Wales | Company Number 6419015

Re: style IDs standard

Robert Knight
> But I consider that a temporary annoyance that was worth the clean-up.

That depends on clients having a good UI to handle the case where a
style is missing.  It could be a pretty scary experience otherwise if
opening a
document and adding a citation suddenly changed or broke the
formatting of the whole document.

Regards,
Rob.