using "in" instead of "and" to separate authors

using "in" instead of "and" to separate authors

Carles Pina
Hi,

I don't know the final use case, but one of our users would like to
use "in" instead of "and" in some inline citations. Like "(Smith and
Murphy)" would be "(Smith in Murphy)".

I read:
http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#name
----
and
    Specifies the delimiter between the second to last and last name
of the names in a name variable. Allowed values are "text" (selects
the "and" term, e.g. "Doe, Johnson and Smith") and "symbol" (selects
the ampersand, e.g. "Doe, Johnson & Smith").
----

I'll get more information about the use case. I wonder if some of you
have thought about it.

Carles Pina | Software Engineer
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/Carles-Pina/

Re: using "in" instead of "and" to separate authors

Sebastian Karcher
some citations or all citations?
For all citations, it'd be easily possible to just change the term in the style. But for some citation we'd need a trigger of some sort that would have to be send and understood by CSL and that's not currently possible (and I'd say probably not something we'd want to do?).
I imagine the use case is a "cited in" type scenario - but if we do want to address that (and it does come up a fair amount esp. in the humanities) I imagine we'd want something cleaner & more comprehensive

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Carles Pina <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The use case is indirect citation. I cite Doe, who is citing (or more commonly quoting) Smith.

So either we cover this:

1) now, using a free text prefix
2) we add a new feature to processors to support this

Bruce

On Nov 30, 2012 7:57 AM, "Carles Pina" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Charles Parnot
Agreed: for now, custom prefix will be a workaround. For full support, you need extra variables (if I understand correctly.